A strategic place
Campagnac has been inhabited since the Celtic period. The region was then a large expanse of hills and meadows, near the Gardon. This region received an administrative existence in 896 when Louis III, King of Arles, granted it to Amelius II, Bishop of Uzès. The Campagnac estate was then occupied. Close to the road linking Nîmes to Uzès, it housed the companion stonemasons who built the priory of Saint-Nicolas de Campagnac in 1156 and the Saint-Nicolas de Campagnac bridge (1245-1260).